[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Sandwishes

lists@christopherwilkinson.eu Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Tue May 8 17:16:15 UTC 2018

Good afternoon:

Reference has been made to the eventual association between the town of Sandwich, one of the Cinq Ports on the East Kent coast, (or indeed the Sandwich Islands, named after Lord Montague) and the commonly known sandwich, culinary ancestor of various Clubs, Buttys, Sarneys, Subs, Burgers, Croques and Boccadillos….

The edible sandwich is named after the fourth Earl of Sandwich whose relationships with the places of the same name would appear to be quite tenuous. However, he invented what is now known as a sandwich in order to be able to eat it at the same time as playing cards, or riding  horseback (sources differ).

Meanwhile, there is a modest establishment up the street from where we used to live in Brussels, trading in Sandwishes. I often thought that was a rather more promising marque. I hope that they get their gTLD.

Enjoy

CW