[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] [***] Re: Conference call: city names

Annebeth Lange annebeth.lange at norid.no
Tue May 15 06:55:13 UTC 2018

Hi Alexander

Thanks for your information, Alexander. Noted.

Kind regards
Annebeth

From: Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 <gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Alexander Schubert <alexander at schubert.berlin>
Date: Monday, 14 May 2018 at 21:22
To: "gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org" <gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] [***] Re: Conference call: city names

Dear Annebeth,

I would like to caution that the mechanics for gTLD applications will substantially change in the next round! In 2012 we had mostly ICANN folks spearheading efforts – and for the most part they knew what they do!

In 2020 we will face for example:

  *   VC funded portfolio applicants trying to “wipe out” entire categories – e.g. all cities with more than 500,000 people! The goal is to “make money” – not to operate a resourceful city infrastructure element.
  *   Applicants who have ZERO ties to the DNS business – but assume it should be easy to run a gTLD for their city (until they find out: it is actually not easy)

The “danger” for the both constituencies “Internet User” and “prospective city gTLD registrant” in a given city is that absence of management for the string will render it impotent. A city gTLD should be MANAGED! Not just “opened up for registration”.

Vetting requirements create a very useful real “competition” – as applicants will have to answer to the city’s RFP!

Geo gTLDs will together with “brand” gTLDs THE main silo in the future. Especially attractive for land-grabbers as these TLDs have a “built in” natural demand – AND there are lots of entities within the cities who might later buy the TLD operator. We should make sure to protect the city gTLD land from being subjected to wild speculation phantasies of ROI hungry VCs.

How do I know all this? I have been involved in at least three city gTLD applications in 2012 – and I am preparing for geo gTLD applications for the 2nd round since 2011/2012. Obviously I am analyzing the “teething troubles” of the 1st small batch of city gTLDs – and am in close negotiations with constituencies in cities who wish to fund, market and manage their own city’s gTLD – instead leaving that to a VC funded entity that needs to make cash rather than creating benefit for the geo community.

Thanks,

Alexander