[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Today's call, and Application of International Law to the GeoNames Provisions of the Applicant Guidebook

Nick Wenban-Smith Nick.Wenban-Smith at nominet.uk
Thu May 17 16:54:53 UTC 2018

Hi Heather, all

This is a very interesting point of discussion.

Firstly I think we all agree that clear and predictable rules for applicants going forward is a highly desirable objective. Where the current 2012 AGB can be improved upon then we should identify the offending wording and seek to replace it with something better. The use of the term “city” for example means different things to different people and countries. In the UK I had always understood a city to equate to those population centres with a cathedral, but from Wikipedia it seems there is quite a lot of history and domestic politics to it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_the_United_Kingdom

Secondly, I generally accept that in terms of ICANN generally and grant by ICANN of new gTLDs in particular, there is not much by way of international law. (If there were, then we would not need to have all these meetings at all times of day and night to reflect on the policy options, and in fact ICANN would probably just be another UN agency). So for better or worse the task falls to the various ICANN communities, balancing the various interests and stakeholder views from across the globe and coming up with options, and considering the inputs and making pragmatic compromises where appropriate. In turns out that in this field of geo names there are a lot of different opinions and perspectives, which makes this a complicated process!

Finally, as I said in my previous post about an eon back in policy terms it is the false impression of an authorisation by a state or other authority that is to be avoided here. To my mind whilst the non-objection process was not perfect by any means, it did work very successfully in relation to a significant number of national and city TLDs who once they had negotiated this hurdle proceeded to delegation and successful widespread use without contention. (Compare and contrast with other applications some six years later which are still stuck in the process). Very open to alternative solutions, such as a fair and transparent early advisory approach, but no rules at all does not feel a good outcome in terms of justification in the general public interest.

Best wishes
Nick