[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Today's call, and Application of International Law to the GeoNames Provisions of the Applicant Guidebook

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:59:11 UTC 2018

I think that core to Mazzone's argument for me, is :

“  What if there were ways to allow uses of the TLD by the applicant, but
in some way also allowing the applicable government to also get some use?

I am currently working in an day job that has nothing to do with ICANN or
TLDs, but the content that I am working with relates to "benefit-sharing".
And I wondered if this model could be incorporated into the discussion,
where the government and the applicant might be able to make an agreement
on some mutual benefit/s of sharing a name.  Just a thought along the lines
of what I am dealing with  in a completely different context but,  would
that ever work here?