[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Very small overlap between "famous brands" and cities with a sizeable peoplulation

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat May 19 13:01:54 UTC 2018

Dear Greg,

You are describing brands in these words:
       “Some marks are worth billions of dollars, are registered and used in dozens or even well over a hundred countries,
          have long histories, and are known and beloved by millions, if not billions of people.”

Let’s be fair here: what you describe is a very tiny percentage of “trademarks”: something like “famous marks”. It’s the equivalent to capital cities. Now of all cities – what’s the percentage of capital cities? Tiny. So by describing the crème de la crème of brands – but demanding “no-geo use” provisions for ALL brands (e.g. brands quickly brought  into existence just to apply for the matching gTLD): that doesn’t add up.

And how big an overlap do we have between “famous brands” (which is likely no legal term – even if we have smth like that in Germany) and cities larger than say 50k people? Should be a TINY overlap.

Thanks,

Alexander