[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Follow up on "exceptionally reserved" codes

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Nov 14 09:23:27 UTC 2018

 Emily Barabas writes:

 <SNIPPED a lot>

 > Jaap, I believe your briefly mentioned previously that it might be
 > appropriate to remove or modify this provision of the AGB. If you
 > would like to include a proposal in the Initial Report, can you
 > kindly provide some language, along with (if possible) a description
 > of the problem that this proposal would solve? All other Work Track
 > members are welcome to submit proposals on this issue, as well.

I'm really pressed for time so this will be very short. But since
you asked, here is my thn=inking.

I observe hat the exceptional reservations is only on alpha-2 and
alpha-3 _codes_ (and the exceptional reserved alpha-3 codes are not
considered in the AGB). Alpha-2 and -3 codes are already covered
by other rules in the AGB, I'm wondering why they need to be discussed
at all in the AGB.

Furthermore, the 3166 is under review and noise have been made that
the current use of reserved codes might be changed in this process.

I do think that there are more important things to spend energy on
than this very specific case (and I repeat, might already been
covered by a more general rule). So adding more rules to the ADB
about this (what the current proposal is), is to my (pragmatic)
taste an overkill.

	jaap