[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT 5 Suggestion: a) The geo name panel determines that the foreseeable use of 2nd level domains by registrants will be to a significant degree for purposes associated with the city name

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sun Oct 7 16:24:25 UTC 2018

Hi Marita,

Thanks. Well, we have one fraction that wants to protect a very WIDE array of geo names. And another fraction that wishes all “regulation” to hell (for reasons that I assume are mostly “commercial”).

These both fractions are clashing in this WT5. As a result we will not have any “agreement” on proposed changes – so the old 2012 AGB provisions stay in place. I project that there will be entities in the next round(s) that are prepared to go to any length to avoid talking to the relevant city Governments in order to reach agreements with the city prerequisite for getting a letter of support. It is foreseeable that most if not all cities will want to conduct public tenders in case somebody requests a support letter! Why wake “sleeping dogs”? To participate in a public tender as an entity that is native to the city and has support from city constituencies is already very stressful – but if you are a portfolio applicant and raid DNS city-land in other continents: you already get problems with the language barrier; not to speak the different mentality, etc.! Public tenders are the enemy of the shareholder driven VC applicants – because a public tender fosters positive competition and brings to the light of the day operation models that benefit the city and its constituents – and NOT “shareholders”. Which is why we want these letter of non-objection in the first place, right?

In the last call the question arose: “have there been any problems with city names in that regards? Has anybody tried to circumvent the support letter requirement”?

The answer is: NO! There weren’t problems. But I project there WILL be, and let me lay out why I think so:

1.      In the 2012 round applicants were concerned to prove that their business model would sufficiently showcase that the proposed registry would operate sustainably. Meaning that it would generate enough revenues to cover the cost. That was a requirement back then. If you applied for “.miami” – and would NOT primarily target the constituents of the City of Miami: how to prove that you can operate the registry in a sustainable way?

2.      In the 2012 round the ENTIRE “generic namespace” was up for grabs. Applicants could go for all the valuable “low hanging” fruits like “.shop”, “.app”, “.web” – strings that would be very promising from a commercial perspective. Most of these premium generic keyword based strings have been applied for in 2012.

3.      In the years prior to 2012 - when people started to choose their desired string(s) – city name based gTLDs were met with doubt! I have been lobbying for city based gTLDs since 2005 – and initially people completely rejected the notion that such string could be a basis for a profitable registry operation. By late 2011 (when all applicants had chosen their strings) there was still a lot of doubt whether such registry would ever be a commercial success. So from the eyes of a VC funded and shareholder value driven portfolio applicant: why venturing into this uncertain corner of all the unclaimed gTLD land? City gTLDs where mostly interesting for applicants who were driven by ideology, patriotism and love for their city. Like somebody who is born in that city (hint: I am Berliner, literally).

All of this has drastically changed by end of 2018. And will even more change by 2020/2021:

1.      Take as an example “.xyz” – a string that has little to no “generic meaning” at all and basically lives off that fact by acting as sort of “placeholder”. Two million registrations. Now ANYBODY who would apply for ANY string could simply point out in their business plan that they strive to copy the “.xyz” model. Hence they would NOT have to “primarily target” the city constituents as prospective registrants.

2.      The generic namespace is heavily raided – it will be very hard to find commercially interesting generic keyword based strings for the 2020 round. A few new industries emerged (or became legal in the U.S.) like “.weed” or “.wallet”, “.coin”. But identifying commercially successful generic keyword based strings is a real problem. I know, I do that for a living. But the city name based gTLD land is wide open right now. In the U.S. for example only “.miami”, “.vegas”, “.nyc” and “.boston” have been applied for. There is a MYRIAD of commercially interesting cities in the U.S. and Europe alone.

3.      City name based gTLDs proved to be a commercial success. And for all the reasons that Dirk and me preached already in late 2004 (it’s been almost 14 years that we started that project). Gone is the “doubt”. Investing in a city gTLD would be considered a solid business decision by VC funders by today.

So yes: nobody tried to pull off any tricks to circumvent the letter of support requirement. But the way we have formulated this requirement is in my eyes not anymore suitable to protect cities in 2020, because the landscape has changed. 2011 to 2020 – that’s 9 long years!
Applicants require a “letter of non-objection” from the relevant authorities (city government) if:

a) It is clear from applicant statements within the application that the applicant will use the TLD primarily for purposes associated with the city name

I take offense on 3 parts:

1.       That the APPLICANT can influence the outcome by simply making this or that declaration – instead of a NEUTRAL body evaluating the likelihood that the gTLD will be used for “purposes associated with the city name”.

2.       That we solely take into account what the APPLICANT will (“intends to”) “USE” the gTLD for – instead of having evaluated by a neutral body what the INTERNET USER likely will use it for (don’t make a “glass ball joke”).

3.       That the city connected use has to be PRIMARY! Why primary? What is primary? 90%? 95%? Why not “significantly”? If more then maybe 20% (we would have to agree on a measure) of REGISTRANTS start to use the gTLD for “purposes associated with the city name” – well: then they city needs to be looped in!

Hence my proposal:

An application for a city name will be subject to the geographic names requirements (i.e., will require documentation of support or non-objection from the relevant governments or public authorities) if:

2012 AGB:   a) It is clear from applicant statements within the application that the applicant will use the TLD primarily for purposes associated with the city name

Revision:   a) The geo name panel determines that it is foreseeable that registrants will use the TLD to a significant degree for purposes associated with the city name

This way generic term based applications are safe if the application were to only “incidentally” (circumstantially) target a (smaller) city. (Closed) applications by brands won’t be a problem – if the city is small enough that it won’t apply for a gTLD by itself anyways. Big cities would be protected either way! The one and only problem that remains unsolved: If a brand targets a sizeable city. This one problem (and I personally do not assume it is very big) would have to be addressed in another way.

But the way we address the problem now: “applicant statements”, “intended use by applicant”, “primarily” – sorry. It luckily worked out in the 2012 round. It screams “abuse me”. Actually: one doesn’t even have to “abuse” this policy item: Just don’t state that the application targets the city “primarily”: and you are fine. Not cool.

Thanks,

Alexander