[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Draft sections of WT5 Initial Report for WT review

lists@christopherwilkinson.eu Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Fri Sep 28 21:19:40 UTC 2018

Dear Jaap:

Yes. I think that WT5 should refer to the ISO 4217 codes explicitly. After all, WT5 spends pages on the protection of 3166 codes and names. Bear in mind that there is a view - which I do not share - that any string that is not explicitly protected by ICANN or by national law, is free for open registration. By that thesis, ISO 4217 codes could fall between several stools.

(a) there is pressure in WT5 to make anything that is not explicitly protected by an ISO standard or by applicable law to be 'open' for unrestricted applications for a new gTLD.

(b) The ISO 4217 codes are widely used in on-line banking and the financial markets.
If they become available as unrestricted TLDs, who is going to apply for them? Under what conditions?

e.g. If we were the ECB (we are not) we would be quite sensitive about who was allowed to register the TLD .EUR for the €

e.g.  Suppose that the Federal Reserve did not register .USD ($) and that someone else in Gibraltar or the Cayman Islands registered .USD for whatever purposes?

So, I stand by my point: ISO 4217 is a standard that has to be respected on a par with ISO 3166.
I am prepared to amend this 'holding' position on the basis of eventual advice from ISO, the IMF and the ECB. Not otherwise.

Best regards

CW