[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Proposed Agenda - Work Track 5 - 7 August 2019 at 20:00 UTC

Katrin Ohlmer | DOTZON GmbH ohlmer at dotzon.com
Wed Aug 7 17:13:46 UTC 2019

Dear Heather, all,

thank you for your comment.

Let me explain the rationale behind the proposal:

The ICANN bylaws reference that ICANN has the mission to conform its activities based on „…. applicable local law“. So it seems like ICANN is not only bound to International, but also National/Local Law, less in enforcing it but basing its decisions on this framework. If we have not incorporated it in the GNSO principles at earlier times, it’s probably due time to reconsider.

Put aside, that our proposal is less about suggesting a prioritization, but rather respecting national law: We’ve already agreed in the past on three prioritization buckets in the past – communities, capital cities and applicants with need of support.

Why whould we reconsider now? To provide applicants with more predictability.

Let me explain this with an example:
If two applicants would be forced to go to court over a TLD application in a country where one has more rights based on national law and the other not, would it not be fairer to tell the applicant right away that the other applicant has better rights?

Best regards
Katrin

PS My take on the Geo Names Panel is, that their role has been purely to determine whether a string falls into the Geo category. I cannot remember proposals to change this fundamentally, apart from improving their skills.

DOTZON GmbH - digital identities for tomorrow
Akazienstrasse 28
10823 Berlin
Deutschland - Germany
Tel: +49 30 49802722
Fax: +49 30 49802727
Mobile: +49 173 2019240
ohlmer at dotzon.consulting<mailto:ohlmer at dotzon.consulting>
www.dotzon.consulting<http://www.dotzon.consulting/>
Besuchen Sie uns auf LinkedIn<https://de.linkedin.com/company/dotzon-gmbh>.

DOTZON GmbH
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 118598