[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Please respond - straw poll on Early Reveal Process for Adjectival Form of Country Names - deadline Tuesday 10 September at 14:00 UTC

lists at christopherwilkinson.eu lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Mon Sep 9 19:15:57 UTC 2019

Dear friends and colleagues:

If Paul’s concerns are typical of other  WT5 participants, then I fear that a great deal of our proceedings have not been understood or registered. I have had to miss several calls recently, so I may not fully grasp the current context, but allow me to point out:

(a) WT5 is there to improve and adapt the AGB to be more realistic and to respect rights and interests that go beyond the ICANN Community. I suggest that it would be helpful and realistic if WT5 digested that.

(b) I am not aware of anything having been closed on the List. WT5 conclusions will have to go to the PDP and to GNSO Council, then to the Board.  I have every expectation that the issue of public control over how  geo names are used and by whom will go all the way, and beyond.

(c)  As some of you know, I consider that all geographical terms should benefit from a degree of protection. The question is not which ones are protected (e.g. the AGB’s excursions into ISO-3166. ) The question is which ones can be used on the basis of agreed policies and procedures. Hijacking other peoples’ geographical terms without their knowledge or consent should be off the map.

Regards

CW