[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 9 October 2017

Emily Barabas emily.barabas at icann.org
Mon Oct 9 17:31:15 UTC 2017

Dear WG Members,

Please see below notes and action items from the meeting today, 9 October 2017. These high-level notes are designed to help Working Group members navigate through the content of the call and are not meant to be a substitute for the recording. Recordings, call transcripts, chat transcripts, and other documents are available at https://community.icann.org/x/AIJEB.

Kind regards,
Emily

Notes:

1. Welcome/SOIs

- No SOI updates

2. Work Track Updates – WT1-4

- WT1 (Christa Taylor) - upcoming discussion topic - costing and clarity of application process - review of CC2 Comments

- WT2 (Michael Flemming) - recent discussions have focused on Closed Generics, the WT has been looking at objections and language included in decisions. Upcoming meeting is on Thursday and will continue to focus on Closed Generics.

- WT3 (Karen Day) - Upcoming meeting is tomorrow at 20:00, will focus on CC2 review - String Similarity and Freedom of Expression. There is a call tentatively scheduled for 24 Oct, the group will discuss whether to move or cancel the meeting.

- WT4 - the upcoming call will take place WT4 call: Thursday, 12 October 2017 at 03:00 UTC for 60 minutes. Call two weeks ago canceled due to conflict with WS2 schedule; call last week covered name collisions, with good progress, and registry services, where there is still more to discuss. Call this week will focus exclusively on registry services (questions asked in the application on registry services).

3. Work Track 5 Update

- ALAC has selected Christopher Wilkinson to serve as WT5 leader.

- ccNSO has selected Annebeth Lange.

- No name has been provided by the GAC yet, although the GAC has said that a person has been selected and the name will be shared soon.

- GAC may consider detaching the identification of co-leader and the discussion of conditions related to participation. Even if the person is provisional, it would be good to include that person in discussions with the other co-leaders prior to Abu Dhabi

ACTION ITEM: Send follow-up email to Tom Dale to see if the GAC can provide a co-leader on a provisional basis prior to ICANN60.

From the chat:

Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry): W/r/t GAC co-leader, it "may" be the case that their interested person is also running for GAC Chair and I suspect it would be difficult for that person to do both. Perhaps sugget that they can identify an alternate as a way to break the logjam?

- Four people have expressed interest in serving as the GNSO co-leader. All provided permission to share their expression of interest last week. There was a discussion period on the mailing list.

- Leadership team feels that any one of the candidates could be a great co-leader, but will recommend one person. The leadership team hopes that the Working Group agrees with this recommendation. The leadership team recommends Martin Sutton. He has served in a number of leadership positions at ICANN and currently serves as Executive Director of BRG. He comes highly recommended.

- The WG will also ask the GNSO Council to affirm the candidate.

- No objections raised to this recommendation.

ACTION ITEM: Send name of recommended candidate to the WG mailing list.

- If any objections are raised on the WG mailing list from GNSO members, the Council can take these objections into account.

- Call for volunteers will go out at the end of the week. All are welcome and encouraged to participate in WT5.

- Last week the WG provisionally selected CLO for WG co-chair. This was submitted to GNSO Council, and will be on the consent agenda for the meeting this week. Cheryl will take over as a third co-chair effective immediately. After Abu Dhabi, she will continue to serve as co-chair after Avri leaves.

4. Drafting Team Discussion continued – Predictability Framework

- We are getting close to a point where we can come to closure on these documents and reach first reading. Perhaps we can get to a first reading on this document after today's call.

- (Reading through edits in the working document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lzXxBLMtFr03BKnHsa-Ss7kR7EAJt7pCI1EP3H81tfQ/edit#heading=h.8pcr95hvmmz)

From the chat:

Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry): Is the use of passive voice intentional?  If not, should we be identifying the actor to avoid future uncertainty?

Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry): That's a general comment (passive voice).

Jeff Neuman: I have put Kristina's suggestted text in the Google doc

- No objections raised to edits in Problem Statement and Anticipated Outcome.

- Community Engagement section:

From the chat:

Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry): By "can be implemented", do we mean "Implementable"?  If so, should we say that (eg. "clear, implementable . . . )?

- The Predictability Framework section:

-- No objections raised to text in phase 1, 2

-- Suggestions to phase 3 text made inline in working document.

-- "By way of example, the need for new contractual requirements is vastly different than ICANN meeting staffing needs by hiring a contractor." Additional wording needed following this sentence to explain the difference.

- Categories/Types of Changes:

-- No objections raised to examples added under Minor Process Updates.

-- Revised Processes/Procedures: no objections raised to suggested deletions.

From the chat:

Jeff Neuman: Instead of "effect", can we use "adverse impact"

(In reference to sentence "Definition: A change to ICANN’s internal processes that have an effect on applicants or other community members.")

- Does someone need to determine an adverse impact up front?

- Any change could in theory have an effect, so the term may be too broad.

- Consider using the term "material effect" which is used earlier in the document. This will be added.

From the chat:

Jim Prendergast: how is material determined?

Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry): If we're going to use "material effect," we should use ICANN's written definition of it, which would be helpul to have.

Maxim Alzoba  (FAITID ): to example of Minor process update ... lately ICANN updated so called GDD portal with the new Click through agreement (which reregistries , and later potentially applicants have to agree to), and cash things cause delays (unknown tetxt needs to pass through legal, and if the change is significant (as it was last time, the issue potentially is not minor anymore)

- Add footnotes throughout text with ICANN's definition of "material effect."

- New Processes/Procedures

-- An example was added - no objections raised. This example may need to be adjusted based on recommendations of the WG.

-- Consider adding "material effect" in this text as well. This may need some addtional thinking before an edit is made.

From the chat:

Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry): @Jeff:  having the definition of material effect that ICANN uses will be helpful to your issue, too, I think.

- Fundamental, Possibly Policy-Level Changes

- We may also need a definition of “significant” if we keep this word in the text.

- We may need to provide criteria for impact -- for “material,” the criteria will be those defined by ICANN org. As discussed previously, those will be added in a footnote to the document.

From the chat:

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): <QUESTION)>What happens when ICANN does not agree with the category (ICANN see something as minor internal and community see the same as major material)?

Kavouss Arasteh: Iagree with you NOT to add significantly

- Regarding Maxim's comment in the chat -- this issue is discussed at the top of page 4 in the document.

- why do we use materially and significantly? Maybe we should remove significantly and leave materially.

- Consider adding a statement that the change will not be implemented until the entire process has been completed.

From the chat:

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): The same happens few days ago with GDD portal and new click through agreement (so my question was based on it)

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): Given the speed

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): of the development of new processes

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): I think such process needs to be design in advance,  and not just when needed

Jeff Neuman: @Maxim - Good point....change in portals did result in new click-through agreement which is fundamentally different than the older one and could result in new terms superceding those in the Registry agreement

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID): It was about the venue to resolve disagreements

- In the expected mitigation strategy for internal changes within ICANN org -- the text states that communication with the community would happen before the solution is deployed.

- Discussion of Maxim’s comment in the chat -- ICANN is moving to a new portal called the Naming Services Portal -- the changes are technically minor, but there is a new legal document that users are concerned about. There is a disagreement about whether the change is major or minor. How do we determine whether the change is major or minor?

- Suggestion: perhaps if any stakeholder thinks the change is major it should be considered major.

- This question should be considered further. We need to further define criteria to determine if a change is major.

- New Policy --

-- This section answers a lot of the determinative questions raised in response to earlier sections of the document.

-- Is this SIRT good as a basis for addressing the questions on the table?