[Gnso-newgtld-wg] REMINDER: Review Revised Draft Final Report - DUE Tuesday, 01 December

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 23:26:17 UTC 2020

Here is the output of my review for consideration

*Community Applications*

[1] At page 160, Implementation Guideline 34.3 re: Criterion 1-A
Delineation.
Although the text draws attention to the need for a non-exhaustive list to
include elements applicable to communities that are not economic in nature,
it does not explicit touch on 5 other points that I believe the WG
discussed, which are:

   - Communities that are not economic in nature may not have clear and
   straight-forward membership definition and this should to not disadvantage
   such communities in terms of scoring as compared to economic communities
   with clear and straight-forward membership, that both types of communities
   should be able to score equally well
   - The extremity between "clear and straight-forward membership"
   scoring high and "vague, dispersed or unbound definition" scoring zero be
   mediated through an acknowledgment that a grouping without a clear and
   straight-forward membership but could still be found to be reasonably
   delineated may still receive a low score instead of zero.
   - I also recall that the term "membership" in reference to non-economic
   communities was problematic
   - Where could we explicitly introduce community-related expertise to the
   CPE process, especially to assist in evaluating non-economic communities
   for the delineation criterion where "community-related expertise" could be
   represented by an International Organization specializing in a certain
   field or a relevant subject matter / community expert of regional or
   international standing?
   - Redress for the requirement of "awareness and recognition of the
   community by its members" where such awareness and/or recognition could be
   alternatively provided by community-related expertise, especially in cases
   where awareness or recognition by the so-called members cannot be properly
   measured (eg, prevented by national law to recognise something)

[2] At page 160, Implementation Guidance 34.4 re: the "Organized" element
in Criterion 1-A Delineation
While the redress for term "mainly" as being permissibly applied to more
than one entity appears, redress for the term "administer" does not. I
recall having discussed adding the "advocate" verb because an applicant may
not fit the role of administrator for a community. I suggest that the
reference to "administer" be augmented to "administer or advocate for".
Perhaps an alternative might be "represent" instead of "administer" as used
in Implementation Guidance 34.8.

[3] The proposal to increase community participation or input in ICANN's
engagement of CPE service provider/panellists is pending further
discussion.

[4] Reference to lowering of the threshold to prevail in CPE, which if I
recall correctly was offered by more than one commenter, is omitted.

Thanks,
Justine