[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposal for introducing new public interest generic gTLDs

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Thu Jul 23 12:29:31 UTC 2020

Another huge risk of closed gTLDs:Currently we have 3 types of gTLDs:Open gTLDs like .bike or .onlineRestricted gTLDs like .bankClosed Spec13 gTLDs like .bmwIn 1.) and 2.) registrants enjoy many protections:The registry can't take away their domain - e.g. to give it to someone who offers a lot of money.The registry can't suddenly 50-fold the price for a registration (or "lease"); just because a business generates Millions via that domain.The registry can't easily change their policies: they can't suddenly deny certain content for example.I guess there are many other protections that I am not aware of.In 3.) there are no registrants - so if someone was allowed by the brand to run a domain: they would not enjoy ANY rights or protections.So what if someone applies for ".vlog" as closed gTLD - offering vloggers (video bloggers) free domains and free hosting as long as the "registry" (the company that leases 2nd level domains) may display ads in a headbanner? Super innovative. Very beneficial as it is free. But now the vloggers who claim fame and have tons of users become vulnerable - as "their domain" isn't theirs - and the registry could change pricing and policies at any time specifically on a per domain basis.  "Oh: fashion.vlog makes US $5Million a year? Let's charge them US $100,000 annual lease." (Of course it started out as free offering).I just don't yet see where anyone needs a closed gTLD that is still safe for the users - outside of brands. SNAP or TWITTER assigning account names to .snap or .twitter to create vanity social media domains: yes! But those are brands.What would be an example of a closed TLD which couldn't be realized as Spec13 or restricted gTLDs?AlexanderSent from my Samsung device