[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] The threshold question before Category C, Question 1

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 29 19:03:19 UTC 2014

I am sorry to have missed today’s meeting, I am in transit.  However, I would respectfully disagree with the evident discomfort over the expression “going down a rathole”.  This is a time-honoured British expression and is used extensively to refer to disappearing down a small hole that turns into a cavernous expanse, and swallows up time and resources.  I am having trouble pulling up the OED complete in the airport lounge over crummy wifi, but I do not believe the term itself implies disrespect in any way, merely that the thread of conversation has apparently disappeared and it is not clear where it went.  I will send you the historical derivation when I dig it up, but I believe it is very old, possibly even Anglo saxon (Old English) and is derived from the practice of sending ferrets down ratholes, where they would disappear for a happy afternoon of killing rats, emerging possibly hours later.  (Hence also the expression “ferreting out”, as some lucky rodents would scramble out the holes, only to be nabbed by waiting dogs.)  Small terriers were used for the same thing in barns, outbuildings, granaries, and slaughterhouses, where they would fit.  This, in an agrarian society, is a good thing, not a bad thing.
So since it is one of my favourite expressions, and I have heard it regularly in polite discourse, I would not dissuade Volker from adapting it.  Our language becomes ever more colourless and rootless every day.
Sent without knowing who said what to whom, only that the expression itself is time-honoured and should not be construed in itself as offensive.
cheers Stephanie
PS if I cannot find positive references in the OED, be warned, Sweet’s Anglo-Saxon grammar will be next, then the Old Norse dictionary….