[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Privacy/Proxy and spam/botnets

Don Blumenthal dblumenthal at pir.org
Mon Jan 20 20:25:03 UTC 2014

Bob,

The rules for access to domain registration data were developed well
before the Internet spread beyond governments and universities. They were
developed even longer before commercial email systems and Tim B-L began
the processes that made it accessible to non-geeks, and it was a little
more time until the Internet commercialized. At the risk of intruding on
EWG territory, should the community base decisions on the realities then
or should it look at what the Internet is now and act accordingly?

FWIW, I plan to use "domain registration data" instead of "whois² except
when talking about specific existing protocols and systems. That¹s what
the information is, and at the risk of reading tea leaves, ³whois² will
disappear as an active term in both the protocol and data management space
before long. Define ³long² however you want.

Don