[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Questions 2 and 3, Category D

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Wed Jun 18 11:27:23 UTC 2014

Hi Kathy,

I went back to the Whois Privacy and Proxy Services Abuse Study Final Report
(see
http://whois.icann.org/sites/default/files/files/pp-abuse-study-final-07mar1
4-en.pdf) and I cannot find the language you quote below. Maybe I am looking
at the wrong place? Please note that the current quotes come from page 8 of
the report. I did find the two following quotes that relate to the use by
banks / representativeness of the data:
* (page 7) The table clearly shows a correlation, in that maliciously
registered domains have a higher usage of privacy and proxy services ­ but
this correlation is not universal in that banks are above average users of
these services, as are adult websites.
* (page 6) Our study mainly addresses the use of domain names that have been
implicated in illegal or harmful activities. The study also examines
(particularly in WP6) some samples of lawful and harmless domain names to
establish a point of reference, but it is important to understand that the
selection we have made is not necessarily representative of the overall
usage of domain names for lawful and harmless purposes.
Please let me know if you meant to request to have these two quotes added
and/or point me in the right direction to find the language you have quoted
below. Maybe it is worth pointing out as well that the information we quote
from the Whois Studies in these templates are those aspects that relate
directly to the question under review ­ obviously, to understand the full
scope of the study and all aspects of it, the whole study should be reviewed
and as such I don't think it is our intention to represent the information
from the studies in this way in the Initial Report, it merely serves the
purpose to facilitate the WG's deliberations on each question.

Best regards,

Marika