[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] For review - updated templates Cat B, questions 1 and 2

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 3 18:40:55 UTC 2014

THanks for this response.  Re your last line, In all risk assessment, the first thing we must do is accept that we live in a world of risk.  Getting to Zero risk means being dead.  Re your second last line, we do have to quantify the magnitude of risk increased by delay, or new risks created by delay.  Otherwise, delay could be still ok.

So the operative questions are, how big is the risk?  HOw likely is it?  What is the impact?  HOw is it sensitive to time ( ie does it compound)?  can I tolerate it or do I have to transfer it?  Are there reasonable mitigations that I can afford?  Can I get somebody else to mitigate my risk, preferably at no cost to myself?
What I see is going on here, from my position of very limited knowledge of the day to day life of registrars, but a slightly larger experience of risk management (Michele will back me up here when I say I am not actually this modest, but for the purposes of this list I am trying to be well behaved, albeit overly talkative)....IS that we are asking registrars and proxy/privacy service providers to mitigate a few risks for other stakeholders.  I don't find that fair, unless it can be proven that it is the most cost effective way to mitigate a risk that all stakeholders recognize exists at a high enough level to warrant significant cost and effort.  Since we in NCSG purport to speak for civil society and the common person, that means there has to be a risk to them, as far as I am concerned, before new costs and risks start coming their way.  I dont think the case has been made that the risk is high enough, or cannot be better mitigated other ways, and I think the registrars and p/p providers have made an eloquent case that loading the verification and the policing function on them is a workload out of scale with the purported benefits.  I also guess it will drive new risks, worse than the old ones, as malfeasant actors adjust to new constraints.
Put more concisely:  the risk is that people do bad things when they get a domain name.  That risk cannot be mitigated by demanding verification of ID, it drives ID theft.  It cannot be mitigated by reveal requests, response would likely be more spurious reveal requests, or revelation of bad data, or good data that still wont get you a warrant. Worst case scenario risks (my personal fav is trafficking of women from websites) are much better treated through standard traffic analysis techniques, or tackling the ISPs. (in the case of trafficking women, forget the domain registration data and follow the Johns).
Doubtless my views are still very uninformed but I have not seen evidence to change my mind yet....we need, I think, a comprehensive risk assessment where we list and evaluate all the risks.   That would help a lot.
cheers SP