[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] For review - updated templates Cat B, questions 1 and 2

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Wed Mar 5 13:59:13 UTC 2014

I would like to encourage you all to review the whole quote from the
Interisle report (see below) which places this specific sentence into
context. It merely refers to the difficulty that may exist in verifying this
claim independently due to the challenges that accuracy studies in a gTLD
environment pose - it does not challenge whether P/P registration
information is more accurate or not (as far as I understand). Again, please
share the information about the other studies you are referring to so that
these can be included as well.

Thanks,

Marika
* Interviewees who represented providers of WHOIS privacy and proxy services
claimed that the quality of the registrant data they hold for their
customers is much better than for public WHOIS services in general. This
seems credible because those providers tend to have a direct business
relationship with their customers. However it is doubtful if these claims
could be independently audited or verified. Assessing the accuracy of a
representative sample of public WHOIS data is already very difficult. It
would be far harder to do so for a representative sample of data protected
by WHOIS privacy and proxy services. In its 2010 study of WHOIS data
accuracy, NORC was able to assess the accuracy of privacy-registered domain
information, but was not able to do the same for proxy-registered domains.