[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] For your review - updated template Cat B - question 2

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Tue Mar 18 09:59:51 UTC 2014

I am sad to say but the 2013 RAA does _nothing_ to guarantee acurate
whois as long as the data makes sense and the email address does not
bounce after the first feedback loop, the data is verified/validated
with no guarantee that the address actually belongs to the registrant.

For example, on the pharmacy domains registered through our platform
from time to time, what we see mostly are that most of them use
individual data sets that are used for each individual registration,
each set perfectly verifiable, 100% accurate, from individuals all
around the globe who most likely do not have an inkling of the use of
their data in these registrations.

> I, Jim Bikoff, David Heasley, and Griffin Barnett agree with Todd's
> assessment:
> Contact information that is ultimately revealed is valuable only if it
> is accurate.
> The validation/verification requirements should be consistent with the
> 2013 RAA requirements, but should go above and beyond
> those requirements to ensure the accuracy of contact information.
> Registrars already send an annual Whois Data Reminder Policy
> notification to registrants, reminding them to provide accurate and
> up-to-date information.
> Similarly, the privacy/proxy customer's contact information should be
> verified upon initial registration of the domain name (either by the
> registrar or the Privacy/Proxy Service Provider) and periodically
> thereafter by automated annual email re-verification notifications
> that require an affirmative response by the P/P customer.  Absence of
> a response would trigger a follow-up, reminding the privacy/proxy
> customer to provide accurate and up-to-date information.
Incorrect, the 2013 RAA demands no such thing and neither should we.
While whois reminder messages are sent, none of these messages require
an affirmative response. Such a model would be customer-unfriendly and
dangerous to any established business.

Volker