[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Commercial Use - White Paper

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Tue May 13 09:18:46 UTC 2014

Hi John,

the problem is that commercial use is a very wide scope. Some courts
have held that providing space for Google Ads on your private blog can
be held to be commercial use. Or if I linked to an ebay auction I set up
and mentioned that in my blog, it could be construed to be commercially
used. Does that mean I lose my right to use a privacy service?

What about little work-from-home shops selling self-made stuff online?
Do they really have to put their home address on their domain? If I were
an activist for religion (or lack thereof), womens rights, abotrion,
death penalty and sell stickers promoting my cause in a small webshop,
do I suddenly have to tell every nutter out there where I live?

While I agree that there may be abuse of the services provided by whois
privacy, I do not agree that commercial activity is where we should draw
the line. Illegal activity using such services is what needs to be
prohibited, nothing else.

Best,

Volker