[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] PPSAI WG -- questions for list

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Thu May 22 16:46:59 UTC 2014

Kiran, the GNSO WG Guidelines outline the process for the chairs on how to
assess the level of support received which specifically does NOT include
voting. I've copied the specific language below and as you can see it is
intended to be an iterative process. I do want to note that the formal
designation of the level of consensus typically takes place at the end of
the process when recommendations are in the process of being finalised for
inclusion into the Initial Report. In our case it is clear that many of
the issues are tied together and the level of support may depend on the
outcome on some of the other issues, so it may not be advisable or even
possible to take formal consensus calls at this stage.

Best regards,

Marika

>From the GNSO Working Group Guidelines Section 3.6

The recommended method for discovering the consensus level designation on
recommendations should work as follows:
i. After the group has discussed an issue long enough for all issues to
have been raised, understood and discussed, the Chair, or Co-Chairs, make
an evaluation of the designation and publish it for the group to review.
ii. After the group has discussed the Chair's estimation of designation,
the Chair, or Co-Chairs, should reevaluate and publish an updated
evaluation.
iii. Steps (i) and (ii) should continue until the Chair/Co-Chairs make an
evaluation that is accepted by the group.
iv. In rare case, a Chair may decide that the use of polls is reasonable.
Some of the reasons for this might be:
o A decision needs to be made within a time frame that does not allow for
the natural process of iteration and settling on a designation to occur.
o It becomes obvious after several iterations that it is impossible to
arrive at a designation. This will happen most often when trying to
discriminate between Consensus and Strong support but Significant
Opposition or between Strong support but Significant Opposition and
Divergence.

Care should be taken in using polls that they do not become votes. A
liability with the use of polls is that, in situations where there is
Divergence or Strong Opposition, there are often disagreements about the
meanings of the poll questions or of the poll results.