[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Issue-spotting for the WG's preliminary recommendations

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:45:06 UTC 2015

It might sound rough to the ears but I'm afraid Volker is right about this
one. Saying you made suggestions for language and amendments is not the
same as being at the table pushing a community's POV in negotiations.

I chaired the At-Large WHOIS WG for most of the time the RAA 2013 was in
negotiations.  And yes, At-Large interests caucused and 'threw things over
the fence' time and again but we could never be sure anyone was even
listening since we hardly got receipt acknowledgement.  So it would be a
stretch to say the RAA contract negotiation was a bottom-up process.

The ALAC did request observer status in the negotiations itself but was
politely rebuffed. So we did the next best thing; we began meeting directly
and regularly with a group of registrars and exchanged views. That facility
was negotiated by the then ALAC Chair Olivier Crepin-Leblond and organized
on the registrars' side by one Michele Neylon.

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799