[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Issue-spotting for the WG's preliminary recommendations

John Horton john.horton at legitscript.com
Wed Aug 19 16:01:54 UTC 2015

I suspect that a lot of law enforcement folks would be a little surprised
if you told them that they weren't part of the negotiations. :) Although I
wasn't personally involved in negotiations the multi-stakeholder process
that resulted in the RAA, I think it might be helpful to step back and
think about the larger context of the discussion here and the history as I
understand it (and I'm not sure I still have sight of the relevance to P/P
issues, but hey -- whatev...). I think that ICANN policy and policy
documents -- including the RAA -- are developed ​and refined based on input
from a lot of parties; I've heard a few stakeholders *including registrars* say
over the last couple of years that certain provisions in the 2013 RAA are
there "because law enforcement (or the GAC) wanted it" or "as a result of
negotiations with law enforcement" (or "the GAC"). I've also heard that
from at least one ICANN staff person. So, argue about the terminology all
you want -- and this may come down to nothing but terminology -- but it
seems pretty clear that the GAC and/or law enforcement -- even if not a
party to the RAA -- had a pretty important voice and were asked if they
"could accept" certain things. As, I hope, did others.

But I also think that in general, a long-standing historic legal principle
is useful to keep in mind any time that a question comes up regarding the
RAA or some other contract or document. If the meaning of text (e.g, in a
contract or regulation) is clear and easily understood to an average
reader, then that language -- not attempts to claim "That's not what we
meant!" -- is controlling. Usually, "legislative history" or the
contractual parties' subjective intent is only relevant in the case of
ambiguous language -- not as a strategy to undermine or neutralize clear,
easily understandable text.

Over and out.

John Horton
President and CEO, LegitScript