[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Last call for Issue-Spotting on Part 2 plus New Comments to Review (Parts 3 & 4)

McGrady, Paul D. PMcGrady at winston.com
Fri Aug 21 16:16:30 UTC 2015

I'm allergic to missing our deadline.

From: gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org [mailto:gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of James M. Bladel
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 7:55 AM
To: James Gannon; Michele Neylon - Blacknight
Cc: gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg at icann.org
Subject: Re: [Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Last call for Issue-Spotting on Part 2 plus New Comments to Review (Parts 3 & 4)

Maybe I can help with this.

(Yet another) RAA Confession:  I was the one behind the 1 JAN 2017 "sunset" date for the Temporary Spec on Privacy/Proxy Registrations.  The thinking at the time was that we needed an expiry date to "light a fire" under ICANN to start/launch the PPSAI effort.  Otherwise, there was a legitimate concern that the Temporary Spec would, by default, become "permanent."

The sunset date can be extended by mutual agreement between ICANN and Registrars.  Given that many of the largest / most active registrars are participating on this working group, I don't anticipate a lot of resistance to this idea, especially if we feel that meeting arbitrary milestone deadlines will impact the quality of our work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks-

J.