[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] A proposed approach for reviewing public comments

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Jul 15 14:29:19 UTC 2015

All,
I agree with the emails of Volker and James G. that we have to do a
thorough review of the comments. I also agree with the expansion of the
time frame to do it.

The last time we had such an outpouring of comments at ICANN that I can
remember was the Closed Generic proceeding and comments to the Board.
Dozens of comments flowed in from parties who do not traditionally
participate in ICANN processes. The Board took the time to read,
evaluate and respond to the comments.

Here too we must take the time to read, evaluate and respond to the
comments. As Volker points out, the issues before us are not only the
questions we issued, but the consensus we presented. Do others agree
with our consensus?  Do they support our direction?  Would they push it
more in one direction or another or reject it outright?

One thing I have seen in my skimming of the comments is a lot of
discussion of Due Process. There appears to be a good amount of
commentary on this issue, and one we will need to read and evaluate
closely.

Over the year of our work we have talked often about the month of
August. How it is a time that many in certain countries take long
vacations; how emails to business addresses are often unanswered until
the person returns to her/his desk. I think a rush on this in the dead
of summer is a) unnecessary b) will not result in full staffing of the
teams that we are setting up and c) will not give us the time for the
evaluation, analysis and incorporation that we need.

Analysis, evaluation, incorporation -- this is a very important task for
us now.
Best,
Kathy