[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Proposed language concerning lawyers and P/P services

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Mon Oct 19 15:33:29 UTC 2015

Dear WG members,
As you¹ll recall, at our face to face meeting on Friday, the WG discussed
whether there is a need to clarify whether the WG²s proposed definition of
P/P services includes, or should expressly exclude, lawyers and attorneys
who, as service providers, do proxy service registrations for clients in
light of concerns over the impact on the right to counsel. The co-chairs
would like to offer the following language for your further discussion:

"The issue of whether or not accreditation standards would apply to
attorneys was raised in public comments.  However, we believe it is outside
of ICANN¹s remit to regulate attorney/client relationships and we believe
that ICANN should avoid attempting to do so in any implementation of our
proposed policy.²

Please feel free to continue the discussion via email to this list.

Thanks and cheers

Email: mary.wong at icann.org