[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Domain Phishing

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Tue Oct 27 20:36:27 UTC 2015

Thanks for sharing, Graeme.

I know that our two companies, probably along with most major Registrars, are very busy today trying to clean this up and protect our customers.  While not a "silver bullet" defense against phishing attacks, Privacy Services are a prudent measure to guard against the misuse of contact data.

I was also reminded of this article from a few months ago:  http://domainnamewire.com/2015/09/03/heres-one-source-behind-the-proliferation-of-whois-marketing/#more-47239

I am by no stretch of the imagination a "domainer," but have a dozen or so domains for various personal projects & email accounts, and anecdotally those contacts are being hammered lately with email and telephone spam.  Mostly these are for Search Engine listings or small business credit services, and the senders do not recognize opt-outs or the FCC "Do Not Call" database.  I particularly loved receiving these calls while roaming in Ireland @ $1.25/min.  Grrrr.....

Thanks-

J.

On 10/27/15, 13:04 , "gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Graeme Bunton" <gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of gbunton at tucows.com<mailto:gbunton at tucows.com>> wrote:

One of the refrains I think we've all heard from registrars is that the
reasons for using a P/P service are many, but very frequently as simple
as 'less spam'.  We've also maintained that there is nothing inherently
dubious or suspicious about a P/P registration.

The current massive phishing campaign being waged against registrants I
think highlights these things very clearly, and the below articles from
DNW are worth a read:
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/27/domain-phishing/ and
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/26/warning-domain-name-phishing-email-blast-going-on-right-now/

Graeme