[Gnso-rds-pdp-3] [EXTERNAL]Re: added Kirk Hall/ RDS drafting team 3 / Reconvening Domain Name Certification team

Feher, Kal Kalman.Feher at team.neustar
Thu Mar 8 21:10:26 UTC 2018

Kirk, can you expand on your last point regarding the linking of identity data via Whois? I'm not as familiar with the CAB requirements as you are, but I can't find any reference to using Whois for proof of identity or matching identity. We know that OV and EV certs can be issued to domains with fully private whois, so is this matching something that some CAs do opportunistically? If such a match were allowed by the CAB guidelines, as someone intimately familiar with the Whois data set and its authenticity, I'd strongly recommend against using the data this way.

To clarify what we have articulated in the past, we've said that the certification process does not require the collection of registration data, but it is most certainly a legitimate use of such data if collected. Due to the diversity of experience within the broader working group we need to be a little pedantic on the differences between collection purposes and consumption purposes. So your suggestions regarding access agreements are entirely appropriate and aligned with what this group has interpreted as legitimate use of the collected data. <- the actual details of such access will be discussed much later in this working group.
--
Kal Feher
Neustar Inc.