[gnso-rds-pdp-data] Moving Things Along .. Next Steps

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 20 00:03:57 UTC 2016

Thanks for this - it will give shape to our WG’s discussions.

First, though, could we agree on the mission of this group - to be clear about what we are supposed to be doing - or not.

My understanding was that our first task is simply to identify the data that is collected by registries and registrars, and why it is collected.

My nomination for one of the ‘top five’ documents is SAC 54.  The reason is that it lists all of the data (not just the ‘whois’ data required under the RAA, but the data used for traffic management, etc, etc). And each data element is listed under a general heading of how the data element is used - operational, etc.  My other picks for the ‘top 5’ would include the Whoise Registrant Study, the Whois Task Force Final Report, and perhaps as or more importantly, the  EWG Final report, since that team had to go through a very similar exercise.

At this stage, I am not sure that the range of documents on data protection should be in the Top 5 unless the task of this group is to also identify those data elements that would amount to ‘personal information’ under data protection laws and therefore, be the subject of discussion on the data elements that should/should not be publicly available.

Hope that helps the discussion

Holly