[Gnso-rds-pdp-privacy] European Commission Website: Obligations of Data Controllers

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Thu Apr 21 19:50:47 UTC 2016

Lisa, I would recommend adding this document to our list as it is
directly relevant to other documents we are discussing.  Summary below
and attached. Many tx! Kathy

Document Name: *European Commission Website: Data Controllers Defined*

Document Link:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/index_en.htm

The European Commission website provides information to define what is a
Data Contoller. Data controllers are the persons or entities “which
collect and process personal data.”

Data controllers are also the persons or entities who “determine ‘the
purposes and the means of the processing of personal data.’” This
applies to both public and private sectors.

According to the European Commission:

Data controllers must respect the privacy and data protection rights of
those whose personal data is entrusted to them. They must:

  * collect and process personal data only when this is legally
    permitted
    <http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/legal/index_en.htm>;
  * respect certain obligations
    <http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/obligations/index_en.htm>
    regarding the processing of personal data;

  * respond to complaints
    <http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/handling-complaint/index_en.htm>
    regarding breaches of data protection rules;
  * collaborate with national data protection supervisory authorities
    <http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm>.

Additional information:

Obligations of data controllers are discussed on the European Commission
website,
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/obligations/index_en.htm,
and as a separate document on our privacy list.