[Gnso-rds-pdp-privacy] Preparation for today's Privacy Team meeting

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Apr 26 14:38:45 UTC 2016

On 4/26/2016 10:27 AM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
<<Thanks Kathy.  I think they were all added by Lisa on the revised list
of questions that I just sent.  Please let me know if that is not the
case.>>

Chuck,
The revised questions did reach everyone a few minutes ago, tx you very
much!
I've inserted the newest version below for easy reference....
Kathy

*Privacy Sub-Team – Draft 25 April 2016 [Kathy adds: Version 2]*

Eachteamtoconsidertheirtotaloutputtoaddressthefollowingquestions[1]
<imap://kathy%40kathykleiman%2Ecom@gmmn-6gkh.accessdomain.com:993/fetch%3EUID%3E.INBOX%3E171548#_ftn1>:

(i)DidthisinputinventoryproduceanyinsightstoinformtheWG’sworkplan?

Draft response:

(ii)WhichinputsarelikelytobethemostrelevantduringWGdeliberationsandwhy[2] <imap://kathy%40kathykleiman%2Ecom@gmmn-6gkh.accessdomain.com:993/fetch%3EUID%3E.INBOX%3E171548#_ftn2>?

Draft response (based on input received during 20/4 meeting):

·SAC 054, because [to be completed]

·EWG Recommendations, because [to be completed]

·The EU Data Protection Directive 1995 (the best known of all data
protection laws; the legal obligations of all countries in the EU)

·The Council of Europe's Treaty 108 on Data Protection (created in 1981,
and signed about 47 countries within and outside the EU, this is a  key
founding document of comprehensive data protection laws)

·Professor Greenleaf's two articles (part of the same book) set out his
studies showing that the adoption of data protection laws is growing
rapidly -- and in 2015 the number of countries with comprehensive data
protection laws surpassed those without data protections laws. More than
a majority of the countries of the world have now adopted comprehensive
data protection laws and legal frameworks.

·[Schrems v.Data Protection Commissioner (2015)/EU-US Privacy Shield
(2016) - very recent cases and agreements which clearly show that
rigorous enforcement of EU data protection laws is on the rise by high
courts and their decisions are forcing new agreements to be negotiated
which raise the legal requirements for transferring data from the EU
countries to other parts of the world. The new EU-U.S. Privacy Shield
is  an important example of these higher legal requirements. The Article
29 Working Party Opinion on the Privacy Shield -- only about two weeks
old  -- is important for its discussion of these newest of major legal
data  protection frameworks. ]

·Opinion 2/2003 on the Application of the Data Protection Principles to
the Whois directories is the Article 29 Working Party's opinion
expressly guiding ICANN on how to apply data protection laws and
frameworks to the Whois issues. What could be more "on point" for our
full Working Group's work?

·McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission, a decision in 1995 by the US
Supreme Court, affirming the importance of anonymous speech in creating
an avenue for important, but unpopular and minority ideas to enter into
a country's robust political, cultural and artistic discussions. In this
decision, the US Supreme Court found that anonymity speech is a
protected under the US First Amendment and a person cannot be forced to
put her/his name and address on all of statements.

·Thick Whois PDP report, and the legal review presented to the
Implementation Review Team on Thick Whois (this is document #6 in the
list from the consolidated PDF) is highly relevant, since it represents
the most recent thinking from ICANN concerning the impact of
privacy/data protection laws on one aspect of the current RDS (a/k/a Whois).

(iii)Whichinputs,ifany,generatedthemostdiscussion withinthesmallteam?

Draft response:

(iv)Whichinputsmaybeobsoleteorsuper-cededbysubsequentwork?

Draft response:

(v)Whatinputgaps,ifany,mayneedtobeaddressedlater?

Draft response:

(vi)OtherkeytakeawaysfromthisinputinventorytheteamwishestosharewiththeWG

Draft response: