[Gnso-rds-pdp-privacy] Obligations of Data Controllers - EU Data Protection Directive

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Mar 28 21:52:21 UTC 2016

Dear All,
It was my understanding that we are supposed to discuss data protection
and privacy frameworks that may impact the work of the larger RGS
Working Group. To that end, I believe that the 1995 EU Data Protection
Directive provides a framework that impels our evaluation. This is the
framework for the data protection laws in Europe and a model for data
protection laws globally. In particular, I post the *"Obligations of
data controllers" *on the European Commission's website at the link
below. These obligations for data controllers include, among other
requirements:

"Each *data controller *must respect the following rules as set out in
the *Directive*:
-  Personal Data must be processed legally and fairly;
-  It must be *collected for explicit and legitimate purposes *and used
accordingly;
-  It must be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the
purposes for which it is collected and/or further processed;
-  It must be *accurate, *and updated where necessary;
-  Data controllers must ensure that data subjects can rectify, remove
or block incorrect data about themselves;
-  Data that identifies individuals (personal data) must not be kept any
longer than strictly necessary;
- *Data controllers must protect personal data *against accidental or
unlawful destruction, loss, alteration and disclosure, particularly when
processing involves data transmission over networks. They shall
implement the appropriate security measures;
- These protection measures must ensure a level of protection
appropriate to the data."
LINK:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/obligations/index_en.htm
[Note: all emphasis in bold above is from the original text]

I certainly think that this is a framework of principles and legal
obligations that draw our consideration in this subgroup and this WG.

I also welcome the many newcomers to this WG and subgroup. We need your
energy and input!

Best,
Kathy (Kleiman)