[Gnso-rds-pdp-privacy] Privacy sub-group

DANIEL NANGHAKA dndannang at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:04:30 UTC 2016

Dear All,

If we are to look at Privacy as a global issue which is a fact, we cannot
rule out the fact that there are already some territories that are have
drafted there own policy on Data Privacy and Protection. I would not like
to reference at this moment to specific documentation taking a global
perspective,

I agree with @Farell that we need to focus on the topic, the documentation
listed in this case of Europa does not provide a full benchmark in the
drafting of the RDS Privacy policy and we can come up with a standard.

First and foremost Any Institution that is subjected to gathering of data
becomes a data handler and the data of the subject must be subject to
privacy, before any data must be shared to the third party then there must
be consent to share the data.

There should be a benchmark of the data that is shared to third parties for
the data to be shared.

When it comes to the WHOIS Database, the information shared is worth too
much that poses a security risk to the registrant which includes but not
limited to spam, hacks, attacks to mention based on access.

There is an improvision of Domain Privacy but it only protects the user
information which I feel leaves a security gap.

Secondly following the statement made by @David

" ... Whether or not EU principles represent international best practice or
are otherwise desirable for other jurisdictions is not a helpful debate to
have in this sub-group. Some ICANN registrars are within EU jurisdictions,
and so must comply with those rules, so it is relevant..."

I agree, the EU principles should be a guide as EU does not necessarily
represent other territories that are not included in the EU. Every
registrant must comply to the rules and policies of there respective
territories and where there is need to stretch into other respective
regions, then a guiding territorial policy works best as a benchmark with
reference to both territories privacy policies. This means there is need
for a Global Policy Benchmark that references to cross territorial cases
regarding to the respective privacy policy of the data handlers.

This is where once there is breach  of privacy and it
cuts across territorial boundaries then International Policy takes rule.

Regards
Nanghaka Daniel K.
Executive Director - ILICIT Africa / Council Member - FOSSFA / Community
Lead - ISOC Uganda Chapter
Mobile +256 772 898298 (Uganda)
Skype: daniel.nanghaka

ᐧ