[Gnso-rds-pdp-privacy] FCC Chairman Looking to Suspend New-Adopted Privacy Rule

Ayden Férdeline ayden at ferdeline.com
Tue Feb 28 15:42:01 UTC 2017

Thank you for sharing this, Carlton. It is definitely a troubling development.

Typically, the arguments against regulation are that they hurt consumers and businesses more than they help. But I don’t see how that is the case here. The Internet Society published an [excellent report](https://www.internetsociety.org/globalinternetreport/2016/) last November with a highly troubling conclusion — 93 percent of data breaches are preventable. And basic steps that could be taken to mitigate the cost of those breaches which do occur, just aren't happening. That much is obvious, at least to those of us who care about and research privacy. What I found interesting was ISOC's explanation as to why organisations don't pay enough attention to preventing data breaches: they found that the breach costs are rarely borne by the organisations that have been breached. It's always someone else that fits the majority of the bill — the data subject, the financial institution which has to reissue credit cards, another party altogether.

If the new FCC Commissioner believes privacy regulations will hurt business more than they help it, I believe he is mistaken. If wire fraud didn't apply to mail, or it wasn't a felony to open other people's letters, in my opinion there would be a drag on the economy. The Internet is no different. How much business on the Internet will be lost or reduced if sensitive, personal information is not kept safe? The FCC should be building trust in the Internet, making sure people feel safe sharing personal information online...

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)