[gnso-rds-pdp-purpose] Summary of Post-EWG Report Blog Post specific to purpose of RDS

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 20:08:05 UTC 2016

In the blog post I implicitly accepted that data acquisition and use of
WHOIS data covers a lot of purposeful uses, inclusive of spammers.

I  acknowledged that a requirement by the old WHOIS system for publication
of so much of the personal data of registrants have had deleterious
effects, including providing false and inaccurate data to guard against
invasion of privacy.

I allowed that in examining the concerns of all stakeholders and classes of
users of registration data, the EWG concluded that a 'free for all'
approach where everyone has the same public access to registration data was
not defensible or any longer desirable.

I endorsed the new approach and vouchsafe satisfaction to all stakeholder
classes. I adopted the position that all purposes are not equal. It was
progress that for the next generation RDS, we should collect and validate
all of the settled elements in RDS dataset. However, beyond a limited
subset of that for public consumption, we disclose the rest only for
adjudged permissible purposes to an accountable and identifiable set of
users.

See the full blog post here:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141011_building_a_better_whois_for_the_individual_registrant/

-Carlton