[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Wed Aug 3 23:45:56 UTC 2016

>> Theoretical
>> ===========
>> We have seen a couple of proposed use cases that seem to be ideas
>> that
>> people have for useful or harmful ways that RDS can be used, but
>> that
>> do not exist today (at least not that anyone can fully document).
>>
>> For example, there seems to be a desire to use the RDS as a way to
>> issue warrants for information about registrants. While this may be
>> useful, this is not possible today (even with RDAP, I note).

It not only is possible today, it's also "common" (although thankfully
not frequent)

Registrars get served warrants for details about registrants, and the
_only_ information from WHOIS that's "needed" or used for such cases is
the name of the Registrar.

I had the pleasure of meeting Chris Tarbell, ex-FBI Cyber Crime, at
HostingCon last week - asked about WHOIS/domain data he said "we dont
use it"

Last year at the UKNOF event in Sheffield I spent quite some time
talking with some amazing people from the UK CyberCrime departments -
asked the same questions, they confirmed that although whois _might_ be
looked at to see if it matches _data they already have_ for
confirmation, it's not used or relied on.

Which beggars the question, should "LawEnforcement" use cases even be
part of the discussions ?

Rob
Rob Golding   rob.golding at astutium.com
Astutium Ltd, Number One Poultry, London. EC2R 8JR

* domains * hosting * vps * servers * cloud * backups *