[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] @EXT: RE: Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Thu Aug 4 15:34:44 UTC 2016

Dear Volker:

Analogies between domain names and IP addresses are of course sometimes imprecise.  I note that:

·        Any customer of an RIR has its contact data published in RIR WHOIS.  The customers of the RIRs are not allowed to use proxy or privacy data.  They must also demonstrate that they have a legitimate need for IP space.

·        The assignment of individual IP addresses by an ISP to its end-user customers (such as residential customers, i.e. individuals)  is technically, legally, and  and operationally quite different than registering a domain name. Among other things, it’s sometimes a dynamic assignment.  See also “carrier-grade NAT” for more.

All best,
--Greg