[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Use cases: Actual / Real

Elaine Pruis elaine at donuts.email
Mon Aug 8 22:09:40 UTC 2016

Thanks for the actual/real use case examples.
You wrote:
(whois data not actually needed as we have all the data in our system
anyway)
Do you think if the customers knew to look at whois they would have been
able to sort out any of these issues themselves?

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Rob Golding <rob.golding at astutium.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Having just returned from a conference, I've had opportunity to review
> some of the Support Tickets handled in my absence, as we do every month-end
> anyway, but paid special attention to those relating to domains.
>
> I've excluded many (as the logs don't show a whois was done), which
> largely consist of:
> * how do I renew
> * how do I cancel
> * will you take payment automatically
> type questions and limited this to real "use cases" where a WHOIS has been
> part of either the affected party needing data/contact info (if server logs
> show a whois query from that user), or during the investigation by
> registrar staff (where the server logs show a whois from our staff ips) or
> where whois data was pasted into the ticket, from the last 7 days ...
>
> I'll try and layout to the 'template format' tomorrow:

> End User: My Email Stopped Working at the Weekend
> Actual Issue: Domain expired on Friday
> Details accessed from WHOIS: domain name, expiry date, registrar name
> Resolution: we're only the host, directed to contact their registrar
> (client had not actually looked at domain/whois, we wouldnt have needed to
> look to know we're not the registrar)

> End User: Everything down, I can't PING www.*REDACTED*
> Actual Issue: Host "vanished" as nameservers no longer
> online/responding/serving records
> Details accessed from WHOIS: domain name, expiry date, registrar name,
> nameservers
> Resolution: Informed to try and contact their host another method, if that
> fails, will need to find a new one and update their domain. Provided
> details of wayback machine and our hosting plans
> (whois data not actually needed as we have all the data in our system
> anyway)

> End User: Manual Domain Renewal
> Actual Issue: Registrant failed to renew domain/disabled renewal
> Details accessed from WHOIS: domain name, expiry date, registrar name
> Resolution: provided link to client portal to login and instructions on
> renewal
> (whois data not actually needed as we have all the data in our system
> anyway)

> End User: domain transfer still pending after 2 weeks - help!
> Actual Issue: Domain is still locked at losing registrar
> Details accessed from WHOIS: domain name, epp status, registrar name
> Resolution: suggested to login to current registrar (where is claims to be
> unlocked) and re-lock and unlock again, and advise use when done to restart
> the transfer process
> (client had already been emailled the lock/status data at the start of the
> transfer process)

> End User: My website is down again
> Actual Issue: Domain has 2 valid (responding with A record) nameservers
> and 2 invalid namesrevers
> Details accessed from WHOIS: domain name, nameservers
> Resolution: client added the nameservers for their hosting instead of
> [...]

[image: Donuts Inc.] <http://www.donuts.domains>
*Elaine Pruis*, Vice President, Operations
*Donuts Inc. <http://www.donuts.domains>*
10500 NE 8th Street, Suite 350, Bellevue Washington, 98004, U.S.A. |
Telephone: 509.899.3161
[image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>[image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>[image: Linked In]
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc->