[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] @EXT: RE: Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Aug 10 22:01:49 UTC 2016

Hi Terri,

Please see my responses in-line.

Thanks,

Ayden

On 9 August 2016 at 17:51, Terri Stumme <terri.stumme at legitscript.com>
wrote:

> Ayden,
>
> These were *recommendations*; nothing more, nothing less. Although
> included in the 2013 RAA

An agreement containing, I have been told, a litany of unintended
consequences.

> Multiple stakeholders around the world have compelling reasons and
> competing interests when it comes to accessing electronic data. As does LE

Absolutely. I do not mean to suggest otherwise.

> I understand that law enforcement and intelligence agencies need the
> ability to fulfil their mission to prevent serious crime (or, failing that,
> to bring the perpetrators to justice).
>
> At the same time, the protection and promotion of civil liberties, human
> rights, and the right to privacy are not equally as strong in every
> territory around the world. Some countries are more authoritarian than
> others. I support a balance here; my personal information, as well as the
> personal information of my family members, as well as thousands of US
> federal employees, was compromised in the hack of the Office of Personnel
> Management federal employee records.

I am sorry to hear you were the victim of cybercrime.

And a balance is precisely what I am advocating for, so it seems like we
are on the same page. This shouldn't be a zero-sum game. Privacy and
security should be mutually reinforcing.

In addition, strengthened data and security practices also decrease the
risks associated with personal data collection and processing for both
end-users and businesses. A study from IBM in 2015
<https://securityintelligence.com/cost-of-a-data-breach-2015/> found that
the average data breach cost each impacted company USD $3.79 million,
without factoring in for the consumer confidence lost as a result of their
personally-identifiable data being stolen or misused.

> Attaching themselves to the unquestionably valid objectives that law
> enforcement and intelligence agencies have are private entities who do not
> have the same legal mandates or privileged access to information. There
> is no privileged access to information afforded to LE, and appropriate
> legal processes are abided by throughout investigations.

Yes, there is privileged access to information afforded to intelligence
agencies. It is common knowledge that the NSA has a 1-million-square-foot
data centre in Utah sucking up the data of people without warrants, and
without probable cause. The only 'check' that there is on the NSA's
surveillance techniques is that of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance
Court, a secret body of judges that hears arguments from only one side: the
NSA. I would suggest that it is not a beacon of accountability.

As for law enforcement, this varies by country and perhaps in the US law
enforcement does not have such a right (I don't know, but I'd be willing to
bet that "officer discretion", "exigent circumstances", etc. would be
enough to justify a lot of actions.) Their authority, combined with a
badge, a "trusted third party" data sharing agreement, or a simple request,
is likely to be more fruitful than if I was to request the same information
as a private citizen.

> Private entities have become attached to the unquestionably valid
> objectives of law enforcement due to the inherent nature of the beast.

I take a rather bleak view of companies which gather data on individuals
without their knowledge or consent.

> *"Because the private sector owns and operates a vast majority of the
> nation's critical infrastructure, partnerships between the public and
> private sectors are essential to maintaining critical infrastructure
> security and resilience. These partnerships create an environment to share
> critical threat information, risk mitigation, and other vital information
> and resources." Source: * https://www.dhs.gov/critical-infrastructure-
> sector-partnerships.

I would agree that we get better answers to complex questions when a range
of experts and interests can meaningfully take part in the discussions.

However, this quote is referring to the investment made by private sector
actors who invest in, construct, and/or own pieces of critical
infrastructure (things like dams, nuclear reactors, water systems,
satellites). I agree that the public and private sectors, here, need to
work together to identify threats and vulnerabilities in a collaborative
and creative manner.

This quote is not suggesting that all private sector actors should have the
same scope to collect data as intelligence agencies or law enforcement
might be able to. And, I will insist here, they should not. Some private
investigators may like to attach themselves to the "cloak of legitimacy"
which is afforded public actors, but in some instances I find these
perceived associations to be highly problematic. I suppose this is a
conversation for another time.