[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Use case for WHOIS/RDP

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Mon Aug 15 22:37:56 UTC 2016

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your comments. I certainly agree that encryption is a technical foundation for trust on the Internet. However, this is not a use case about the merits of encryption. This is a use case about how certain Certificate Authorities (CA) determine whether or not to lend their credibility to a domain name by issuing a digital certificate.

As you implied, the difference between a $0 Let's Encrypt certificate and a $399 Symantec one is, well, $399 (plus enhanced technical support, perhaps). The encryption key is the same. The difference is more political, because an SSL certificate is, I believe, only as valid as the company from which it is acquired from. Some SSL providers have had their root CA denied (which, in effect, would invalidate all of the SSL certificates they've issued), so it's a game of reputation in theory. In practice, I would suggest that most end-users do not give much credence to who issued an SSL certificate, just so long as they see a green padlock in their browser.

If CAs are asking that the RDS have a mechanism through which they can contact the registrant (i.e. via email or another field), I think it is reasonable for us to question how else they could verify the identify of their customer. After all, it is their credibility which is at stake here. I understand the desire to automate processes and to eliminate the risk of human error - and I really do not have a position either way yet as to whether or not CAs should be able to use the RDS moving forward - I'm just trying to understand how else they could accomplish their tasks if the RDS did not accommodate their needs. I respectfully submit that this is not out-of-scope. Thanks.

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)