[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Action item - gap assessment

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Wed Aug 17 13:46:37 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-17 12:25, Victoria Sheckler wrote:
> What evidence do you have to support that claim?

Anecdotal mathematics will be able to make that justification ... So
whilst the number "1000" is purely a guess, the concept that it would be
"more" is sound ...

If you start with the simple assumption that a LawEnforcementAgent has a
primary task of stopping a Criminal
(which ignores the multitude of other roles, tasks, responsibilties and
so-on that modern "policing" actually covers) :

* there are more people in jail than there are police
  - therefore there are more crime-committers than crime-stoppers

* criminals to crimes is a 1-to-many relationship
  - there is no magic fairy counting the number of crimes and somehow
stopping a criminal at one

Ergo, if you introduce something which is equally able to be used to
find a criminal and commit a crime, the crime number will always be
higher by that reasoning.

Whether something should be
allowed/restricted/controlled/banned/not-even-made because of either of
those 2 "extremes" is the question.

I like to think that the %age of people criminals and the %age of people
who are lawenforcement is an infinitisimally small number in comparison
to the massive amount of people who are neither - thus it is the
impact/effect on them (positively or negatively) that matters.

Rob