[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] @EXT: RE: Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 19 23:08:56 UTC 2016

Gentlemen, with great respect, I think you are being a bit hard on Ayden
here. If, as our next-gen rep here on the group, he were not questioning
authority, I might be afraid he had somehow "missed the memo".  I think
the tone has become a bit accusatory on both sides and we should
de-escalate.  I agree that we must be exceedingly careful about putting
words in each others mouths.  However, questioning the efficacy of
oversight of police data protection compliance is fair game in my view
and in the view of most privacy scholars (Korff, Brown, Bennett and
Raab, Anderson etc.).  Diana Alonso Blass (who came to ICANN in 2003 or
04 representing the Article 29 Working Party) and now of Eurojust speaks
regularly on some of these issues at the data protection commissioners'
annual conference and at CPDP and there can be heated debate.  Oversight
of law enforcement, particularly cross border law enforcement, is
difficult just as the actual law enforcement is difficult. There are
many reasons for this:

  * law enforcement authorities have (legitimate) exemptions under data
    protection law for collection use and disclosure, making it easy to
    accidently abuse that discretion
  * Data protection authorities frequently choose to direct enforcement
    actions in other areas, given the constant shortage of resources and
    the publicity (reaching political uproar at times)  that can come
    with enforcement against police
  * governments often take a dim view of data protection commissioners
    who go after the police (I can cite examples if you wish but I
    realize noone wants to read an article on the difficulties of dp
    oversight of law enforcement

Some of the European DP authorities testified in the 2014 inquiry into
NSA surveillance....I realize this is about intelligence, but certainly
Europol and cybercrime were mentioned.
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+REPORT+A7-2014-0139+0+DOC+PDF+V0//EN.
Given the global nature of law enforcement in our subject area, and the
perceived failure of certain instruments such as the Cybercrime treaty,
and the general shock and outrage expressed during the inquiry I just
cited, particularly over cross border data sharing, I think it is
reasonable to question assertions of compliance with data protection
law. You will find the list of witnesses in the appendix.  Jacob
Kohnstamm was one of them, as was Peter Hustinx, and let me finally
remind you of my favorite quote from Kohnstamm 's 2012 letter to Crocker:

“The Working Party strongly objects to the introduction of data
retention by means of a contract issued by a private corporation in
order to facilitate (public) law enforcement.If there is a pressing
social need for specific collections of personal data to be available
for law enforcement, and the proposed data retention is proportionate to
the legitimate aim pursued, it is up to national governments to
introduce legislation that meets the demands of article 8 of the
European Convention on Human Rights and article 17 of the International
Covenant on civil and Political rights”. (Kohnstamm to Crocker and
Atallah, 26 September 2012).

The bottom line here is that civil society correctly has questions about
the efficacy of oversight.  Please don't take it personally, it is not
meant that way.  It is our job to question. I would agree that Europol
has an excellent oversight regime, in comparative terms, (I wish we had
it in North America) but that does not mean it works all the time. While
we are not here to criticize particular countries or regions, please
admit the idea of criticism in general. It is important.

Stephanie Perrin