[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] @EXT: RE: Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Mon Aug 22 16:43:10 UTC 2016

No traditional risk analysis starts with the assumption that the worst-case scenario will determines what will be done.  (Otherwise none of us should drive because of the risk of accidents, and none of us should fly, because terrorists.)

Risk analysis tends to follow this outline:

1.      What can happen? (i.e., what can go wrong?)

2.      How likely is it that it will happen?

3.      If it does happen, what are the consequences?

And then choices are made, balancing the various variables. As we have been discussing,  there are various opinions and  concerns among the participants and stakeholders.  At some point those need to be laid out and quantified where possible, so that fact-based decision-making and balancing can be done.

See also SAC061 Recommendation 2: “The ICANN Board should ensure that a formal security risk assessment of the registration data policy be conducted as an input into the Policy Development Process.”  That would happen down the line, when things have progressed further and policy options have are coalesced.

All best,
--Greg