[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Mp3, AC Chat & Attendance from Next-GenRDS PDP WG call Tuesday, 23 August 2016

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Aug 23 18:14:25 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call held on Tuesday, 23 August 2016 at 16:00 UTC.

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-23aug16-en.mp3

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/jg6sAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday, 23 August 2016

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group call on Tuesday, 23 August 2017 2016 at 16:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:If you wish to speak during the call, please either dial into the audio bridge and give the operator the password RDS, OR click on the telephone icon at the top of the AC room to activate your AC mics.  Please remember to mute your phone and mics when not speaking.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/jg6sAw
  Chuck Gomes:Under agenda item 3 please move 20 after 19.
  Chuck Gomes:Thanks
  Chuck Gomes:Welcome to all.  We will wait a coupld more minutes while people continue to join.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All
  Ankur Raheja:Hello
  steve metalitz:Marika's notes from last week indicate that use case from Rod on domanis registered to miscreant would be deferred to this week.  Has that been further deferred?
  Lisa Phifer:yes Steve - Rod is unable to join today
  steve metalitz:OK thanks Lisa
  Ayden Férdeline:hi all.
  Greg Shatan:Hopefully Rod's absence is not due to miscreants.
  Greg Aaron:Probably is!
  Greg Shatan:Scroll and magnification control please.
  Lisa Phifer:sync off go ahead
  Greg Shatan:It came and went...
  Stephanie Perrin:my apologies for being late
  Ayden Férdeline:It's redundant, feel free to remove "in defining this policy" if you like.
  Alex Deacon:Agree its redundant
  marksv:"is resolving the tension"
  Alan Greenberg:will be to resolve...
  Alex Deacon:agree it could be cleaned up...
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):+1 Michele, solve -> resolve and remove the second one
  Alan Greenberg:addressing the tension
  steve metalitz:+1 to "accommodates"
  Ayden Férdeline:"The core problem will be accomodating the tension among the varied and competing views..."
  Fabricio Vayra:I also like accomodating
  Beth Allegretti:+1 to "accomodate"
  marksv:"addressing" is also good
  ELAINE PRUIS:+ 1 addressing
  Michele Neylon:+1 to either address or accomodate
  Jeffrey Eckhaus: +1 addressing
  steve metalitz:The vrebs I had suggested considering were resolve/manage/accommodate/mitigate
  Michele Neylon:we are splitting hairs though :)
  Holly Raiche:Just a suggestion - happy with either
  Sara Bockey:"taking into consideration"
  steve metalitz:verbs
  andrew sullivan:"The core problem will be to get everyone resigned to the compromise with which nobody is satisfied" ;-)  (No that's not a real suggestion.)
  marksv:hah
  Stephanie Perrin:+1 Alan
  Greg Shatan:I don't think accommodating implies resolving.
  Jeffrey Eckhaus:I agree with Alan  -
  Ayden Férdeline:I do not think "accomodating" implies any sort of final resolution. Sounds more like a compromise to me.
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):Agree with Alan
  marksv:no problem from me
  Holly Raiche:Works for me
  andrew sullivan:@Ayden: if you think there will be a _final_ resolution, then I urge you to consider the last 30 years of Internet policy development.
  Ayden Férdeline:Andrew, I don't think that all.
  andrew sullivan:I strongly object to the stakeholders/claim to stuff.  I think it's inconsistent with ICANN processes
  Ayden Férdeline:Yes, I maintain we must include "claim to" in the sentence.
  marksv:I think "claim to" feels perjorative
  Greg Shatan:Agree with Mark
  Lisa Phifer:rouglhly 12 opposed, two in favor of "claim to"
  Michele Neylon:as do I
  Ayden Férdeline:re: the count. Just a simple reminder that was not a referendum... :)
  marksv:ok to delete
  ELAINE PRUIS:remove is good
  Beth Allegretti:ok to delete
  Holly Raiche:Agree with Chuch and Andrew on this
  andrew sullivan:Not only will we not lose, I think we gain something
  andrew sullivan:ditch it
  Alan Greenberg:delete
  Richard Padilla:HI all sorry for being late
  Susan Kawaguchi:Facebook as a registrant does
  marksv:registrants have an interest
  Susan Prosser:retain registrants
  andrew sullivan:If registrants don't have a legitimate (no idea about "vested") interest here, then nobody does
  Ayden Férdeline:no, actually, i think we should retain registrants.
  Holly Raiche:Agree with Chuck - registrants DO have an interest
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I wonder if  registrants are aware of RDS at all
  marksv:good point
  Susan Kawaguchi:@ Maxim I couldn't manage the FB portfolio without the registration data
  marksv:in the spirit of conciseness, i am ok to delete the verbiage
  Susan Kawaguchi:All registrants should use the registration data to confirm their own information
  Ayden Férdeline:@Maxim largely they are not. ICANN has conducted research on this before that suggests less than 5% of registrants are aware of WHOIS.
  andrew sullivan:Even if registrants _don't_ know about RDS, they have an interest.  (This is the same problem I had with the "claim to" language)
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Ayden, but adding very few registrants does not help .. so we might remove it
  Ayden Férdeline:I wasn't suggesting to add that text to the document.
  Alan Greenberg:We are going down a rathole of everyone wanting their key-words in this.
  Susan Kawaguchi:@ Ayden if you are talking about internet users that are not registrants I would agree with your assertion but I can't imagine anyone that runs a business on a domain name or is in the business of selling domain names does not use registration data frequently
  marksv:good point, i agree with the distinction between privacy and anonymity
  Nathalie Coupet:+1 Michele
  Ayden Férdeline:@Susan hi, yes, that is what i was suggesting. i agree that for *some* commercial registrants would be the case.
  Greg Shatan:Ayden, do you have a link or cite for that research?
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:that's right @michele
  Fabricio Vayra:Agree with Michelle.  What he's saying is that there's no parity.
  Susan Kawaguchi:I would bet the registrants of oer 300 million domain names registered use registration data so it is not insignificant
  Greg Shatan:Seems like we have picked one edge case and called it for effect or because of a particular interest in the anonymous subgroup.
  Holly Raiche:Agree with Chuck on this issue - there are some who really do want to go beyond privacy
  Greg Shatan:Let's use "dealing with" again.
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Stephanie.  Respecting is good.
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:yes
  Stephanie Perrin:Let the record show Fab and Steph agree!!!!
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):I agree with Michele we should remove the sentence.
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Alex
  Holly Raiche:Do not agree with the removal
  Ayden Férdeline:No. Strongly disagree with @Alex. We should retain the final sentences.
  steve metalitz:  +1 to Alex and Michele on removing last 2 sentences, why would we single out one viewpoint "for example"?
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:There shud be two parts of this statement
  Susan Kawaguchi:+1 Andrew
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Alan
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):+1 Andrew - keep registrants
  Holly Raiche:Totally agree with Andrew
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:1from backend and one for front end we shud be able to separate in treatment
  Michele Neylon:+1 Alan
  Ayden Férdeline:@Alan The sentence says "some" desire anonymity or pseudonymity ... not everyone.
  Susan Kawaguchi:+1 Alan
  ELAINE PRUIS:+1
  Tjabbe Bos (European Commission):+1 Alan
  Stephanie Perrin:We have to remove accurate and complete then if we remove these lines
  Jeffrey Eckhaus:Agree with Alan again +1
  Alex Deacon:+1 Alan
  Beth Allegretti:+1 Alan
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):+l Alan - remove the two sentences
  Ayden Férdeline:+1 Stephanie
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Alan
  Ayden Férdeline:If we remove the final two sentences, we need to edit the first sentence.
  Geoffrey Noakes (Symantec):+1 Alan
  Stephanie Perrin:This is respectfully an good example of the problem.
  marksv:"a list of examples is available in document abcd.pdf"
  Stephanie Perrin:remove complete if you remove ut
  marksv:hooray
  Volker Greimann:SSL needS: there are no other means of authentification than whois? As anyone can put anything into whois, how is that a secure method?
  Rod Rasmussen:Internet > Web - just a friendly reminder. :-)
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:+1 JEFF
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):We saw situations when persons changed their names legally to be full copy of company names
  Alex Deacon:@volker - whois is one of many data sources used - depending on the cert kind/type/product
  marksv:SSL (actually, TLS 1.1 or higher) is neccessary but not sufficient
  David Cake:yes, authentication for CAs can be done directly via DNS not using Whois for basic certs. eg ACME used by lets encrypt
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:the systems are already widely getting upgraded to TLS 1.2
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:perfect point JEFF about the domains
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:but a larger part of the world has only access to Whois for information
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:and nothing else
  marksv:@Vaibhav, agree that we should all skip over TLS 1.1 to TLS 1.2.  I don't recall if PCI certs are requiring 1.2 yet; I know they are disallowing 1.0
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:the transition has begun @markssv
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:we just did in one of my ecom businesses
  marksv::)
  Susan Kawaguchi:echo
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:for e.g there is a large part of CAs available for $1 or more and there is no other authentication done
  marksv:echo echo echo
  Greg Shatan:David was echoing....
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:echo
  andrew sullivan:I don't see how it is relevant to this case that some CAs don't use the RDS this way
  Alex Deacon:@Andrew +1
  andrew sullivan:Just because some people don't do this doesn't mean that it's not a useful thing to offer
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Andrew
  Ayden Férdeline:why do you need to use WHOIS, what if the registrant just added a TXT entry to their DNS?
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:@this application shud have thumbs up :-)
  Vaibhav Aggarwal::-(
  Michele Neylon:somebody has an echo
  Sara Bockey:David needs to mute when not speaking
  andrew sullivan:@Ayden: there are different ways to do things, but records in the DNS are not the same thing as validating who is supposed to be allowed to do something.
  Michele Neylon:please turn off your speakers or whatever
  andrew sullivan:There are lots of people who are sceptical of the value of EV and OV and so on certs
  Michele Neylon:Ayden - there are different types of certs with different levels of validation
  andrew sullivan:but if you think they're useful, evidence in the DNS isn't enough
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:onus of enactment is at the tier level
  Michele Neylon:DNS records mean nothning
  Michele Neylon:nothing
  Michele Neylon:I could register facebooksucksdonkeytoes.somthing now
  Michele Neylon:add a DNS record
  Michele Neylon:done
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:1st, the registrar, 2nd Registry and 3rd ICANN
  Michele Neylon:doesn't mean we are FB or have any right to use the domain
  Chuck Gomes:It is not in scope for this WG to change DNS.
  Susan Kawaguchi:@michele most CAs then reach out to me to validate the domain name
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:considering that the registrar will be providing faulty information most of the time
  Ayden Férdeline:@Michele I wasn't suggesting it was or should be the only form of verification
  Michele Neylon:Susan - yes, though that's only cos you're big enought for them to care
  Susan Kawaguchi:true and lots of bad stuff going on with certs in the past
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:+1 Chuck
  Michele Neylon:there's been some very odd things in the past ..
  Alex Deacon:LetsEncrypt-style certs provide strong encryption with very weak (or perhaps no) authenticaiton.
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Greg
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:Q keeps coming back to the validation of the information provided by the registrant
  andrew sullivan:@Alex: the ACME use case is basically sceptical of EV and so on, at least for those use cases
  David Cake:not weak authentication, weak credentialling
  Ayden Férdeline:@Greg  - That is not what happening. People are simply asking questions to understand how a task could be performed if access to the RDS was not available.
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:let's not take examples of 100$ CAs
  andrew sullivan:I think anyone involved with letsencrypt would say that, if you need an EV cert, their way is probably not the way to do it
  David Cake:verifies that you own the domain
  Stephanie Perrin:Hold on, are we not here to try to figure out the better way?
  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:I cant see how access to whois info in RDS change anything from how it is today? There are no magic about the RDS solving fake registrations
  Alex Deacon:for the record I'm a fan of LetsEncrypt - more encryption is always better.
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:talk discuss about 10-1-2-3-4-6$ CAs
  Greg Shatan:A better way is one thing. But telling users to go away and find a way to deal with this in a fashion that doesn't involve RDS.
  Stephanie Perrin:+1 Michele
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:So would Michele u suggest a phase wise phase out of the who is ?
  marksv:lol
  Ayden Férdeline:+1 Michele
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:or u r saying that this shud always exist @ Michele
  David Cake:yes, letsencrypt solves only for domain validation. EV is a valid different case - but should go beyond RDS anyway.
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):this is an example use case
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):doesn't mean it will continue in the future, it just exists today
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):seems reasonably well described to me
  Ayden Férdeline:+1 Jim
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):shouldn't we move on to the next one?
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:@Michele Under $1
  Michele Neylon:well that's not a sustainable biz model :)
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:but it'll always exist and u may agree to that
  marksv:Glad I don't live within binocular range of Michele
  David Cake:I agree Jim.
  Michele Neylon:lol
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:I agree with you but that is a way to up sell more expensive ones
  marksv:hahaha
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:ha ha ha gd one +1
  Volker Greimann:Solution to this use case: Abolish FOA and rely entirely on EPP code.
  marksv:Need to drop - thanks everyone
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:ciao mark
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:This is definitely @Chuck & @Jim
  Geoffrey Noakes (Symantec):If anyone wants to connect offline about the use case for CA's use of WHOIS/RDS, I may be reached at geoffrey_noakes at symantec.com<mailto:geoffrey_noakes at symantec.com>
  Stephanie Perrin:Suddenly my microphone has become muted
  Stephanie Perrin:Is there a difference when there is a proxy registration?
  Stephanie Perrin:Can somone in tech please see if they have put me on permanent mute?  I did not touch anything
  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:With the new IRTP-C getting in force in january yes that will create problems but not a RDS problem.
  Lisa Phifer:Michele, re: transfer case, is EPP code the same as "auth code"
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:the app is just not working boss can Adobe be given feedback?
  Scott Hollenbeck (Verisign):@Lisa - yes
  Scott Hollenbeck (Verisign):aka authInfo
  Lisa Phifer:re: authcode, I ask because there have been suggestions that it be published in the RDS and it sounds from the case like it should not be
  Scott Hollenbeck (Verisign):SHOULD NOTE BE!
  andrew sullivan:Most certainly should never be
  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:that is a no go
  Susan Kawaguchi:+1 Scott
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):code is a secret ... not to be shared
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):Practical problems exist, like registrars who do not make the auth_info available to registrants, but that is outside the scope of this discussion in my opinion.
  Chuck Gomes:Note that registrars have requirements in their agreements with ICANN that require them to respond within certain time frames.
  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:That is a compliance issues and should be handled like that
  Holly Raiche:Tks Michele
  Greg Aaron:I am sending a note up to the list regarding the transfer and deletion use cases.  The use cases do not mention a lot of relevant material from Consensus Policies, and so the use cases seeem incomplete or miss a lot of scope.  My note will reference the material.
  Lisa Phifer:Day 1 - THursday - will be F2F meeting day
  steve metalitz:Thursday Nov. 3
  Holly Raiche:Time zones much better for APAC region
  Stephanie Perrin:I am still trying to decide, may be remote
  Greg Aaron:we need remote participation
  andrew sullivan:I am supposed to be in H, but can't be sure
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):remote participation is a good idea
  Greg Aaron:And count on a few people not geting visas in time!
  Rod Rasmussen:To be clear - I will be there but may be in other rooms during some of our deliberations.
  Ayden Férdeline:thanks all
  Nathalie Coupet:Thank you
  Alex Deacon:Thanks!
  Vlad Dinculescu:thanks all.