[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] key concepts: say "contact data" when that is what we mean

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Thu Dec 8 00:19:28 UTC 2016

Making the decision that having an RDS (WHOIS or something else)  is essential may have to happen later?  Chuck, did you mean make the decision to get a NEW RDS?    Because it is bizarre to discuss the purposes of an RDS but deny there should even be an RDS.  If an RDS has even one valid purpose, there logically should be an RDS.   Can we imagine if this WG reported back to the world that we should no longer have WHOIS or any successor system?  That people would no longer even be able to look up what domains are registered and which are not?

I am interested if anyone can show how the publication of thin data is harmful, and then that the harm outweighs the benefits.

For example, no, IP numbers are not sensitive in this scenario.  First, anyone can find out the A record of a resolving domain by performing a DNS lookup (dig).  This is baked into how the DNS itself works.  An IP address MUST be submitted to the relevant registry in order for a valid nameserver record to exist,  and thereby allow one or more associated domain names to resolve.    IP addresses are considered PII in some places (such as Europe)  but if and only if they can be connected back to an individual.  The use case there is usually: can we identify a person by their _origin_ (the IP of the computer they are using).  Such as law enforcement trying to figure out what individual visited a web site from traffic logs of users' IP addresses.  This involves the origin of an Internet user, not where a domain name resolves to.

All best,
--Greg