[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reasoning about non-contact-data (was Re: key concepts: say "contact data" when that is what we mean)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Dec 8 16:37:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 04:30:13PM +0000, Greg Aaron wrote:
> Expiration dates allow registrants to see when their names are expiring; a domain management task.

Well, yes, but registrants presumably have access to domain management
though their registrar.  However -- and this might be important -- the
RDS expiration date (since it comes -- or should come -- from the
registry) allows the registrant to check the data they get through
their registrar.  That could be valuable.

> Expiration dates make the domain name secondary market possible.
  Many parties use and benefit from the secondary market, including
  registrants, registrars, and registries.

The secondary market, however, might also be a sign of inefficiency in
the primary market.  Perhaps that'd be a better thing to tackle.  (I
don't have an opinion.  I'm just trying to expose the arguments in
either direction about this field.)

> Create dates are important for assigning reputation to domain names and protecting consumers and Internet users.

To be clear, if I understand you correctly you're arguing that the age
of a domain below some period of time is a useful proxy indicator for
the extent to which is has a history and therefore the extent to which
it ought to be trusted, yes?  That seems like an empirical question
that could be validated.  (I've heard conflicting claims about this,
because the incremental increase in reputation that older domains get
means that "bad guys" should just build a portfolio of older domain
names to use for fraud.)

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com