[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] One Way Gated Access to Data Might Work

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Dec 9 15:03:28 UTC 2016

Hi Scott,

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 12:25:04PM +0000, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> I have a working implementation of RDAP with client authentication
> that might be useful in helping people see how some of our data
> element and data access ideas might actually work in practice.

This is fantastic news; thanks for doing it.  I strongly encourage
anyone who has opinions about whether a given field is necessary under
various circumstances to try this system out, because I think it shows
really nicely how the differential capabilities can be useful.

I will note, also, that this is entirely in line with some
encouragement the IAB submitted to the discussion about the
"consistent display" public comment:
https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-rdds-output-20oct16/msg00000.html
(Full disclosure: I'm currently the IAB chair.)

> A logical conclusion should we decide to pursue this line of
> thinking is that there will be a need for identity providers who are
> able to issue user credentials to people who belong to specific
> communities of interest. Policies will need to be developed to
> determine which communities of interest get access to which data
> elements.

The nice thing, however, is that the demonstration shows how easily
new policies of that sort could work.  It's probably true that
thousands of policies would be onerous, but I find it hard to imagine
the scenario where we come up even with hundreds, so the approach
ought to scale appropriately.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com