[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Call for volunteers - Next-Generation RDS WG Leadership

David Cake davecake at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:49:06 UTC 2016

To add to the leadership discussion, I would like to also nominate for the leadership team. I apologise for the lateness of this nomination - I’ve been both very busy and a little unwell the last few days.
I am nominating in part because we do not have a nominee from the NCSG currently, so if we do go for Chuck’s proposal that the leadership have one nominee from each GNSO SG we will need a volunteer from the NCSG. But I am also willing to serve on the leadership team generally, as I have a keen interest in this topic and I think valuable skills to bring to the leadership mix.

1)      Existing Stakeholder Group affiliations

I am currently a GNSO Councillor for the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group. I am a member (and a former Chair) of the Non-Commercial Users Constituency within the NCSG. I participate in ICANN representing Electronic Frontiers Australia, a civil society organisation (a non-profit civil rights group focused on digital rights).

2)      Relevant past PDP(s) or WG(s) in which you participated

I have participated in several past PDPs, most recently I was an active member of the PPSAI working group, which recently delivered its report. I’m also currently a member of the GAC-GNSO Coordination Group. In the past I was a member of the Security Stability and Resiliency Review Team.

3)      Leadership experience

I have been among other ICANN leadership positions Vice-Chair of the GNSO Council for the past two years, Chair of the Non-Commercial Users Constituency. and Executive Committee of the NCUC and I am currently a GNSO Councillor (in my 4th term). I have also held leadership roles outside ICANN, in particular I am the Chair of the board of Electronic Frontiers Australia.

4)      Perspective on the WHOIS issues and RDS

I am a privacy rights advocate, but I do not consider myself to have deep expertise in this area compared to, for example, those with experience working for data protection agencies. I am familiar with issues such as Intellectual property, law enforcement jurisdiction, etc that I believe will be significant in the WG (some of the issues addressed in the PPSAI working group will be looked at again in the broader context here, for example). I am familiar with most of the ICANN structures and processes, and I think I have a good understanding of the many areas that the WHOIS debate touches, and its long history at ICANN (and prior to ICANN). I believe the work of this group is vital, and fully support the goal of a new, more technologically flexible and modern, framework for the services now provided by WHOIS. While this is a GNSO Working Group, I think if this effort is to succeed it will need to reach well beyond the GNSO.
I have a strong technical background, including security, and I believe there are many technical and security considerations that will be relevant to the work of this group, and I want to ensure that they are dealt with thoroughly.

5)      Ability to devote sufficient time
Now I’m no longer a GNSO council vice-chair, I seem to have fewer ICANN responsibilities. This group would be an appropriate way to fill that time.
I believe I have the ability to devote sufficient time to this effort.

 6)      Preference for chair/co-chair or vice-chair position, if any.
I do not wish to be chair, and support Chuck as eminently qualified for that role. I would accept a co-chair position if asked, but would prefer a vice-chair role.