[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Please participate - poll on RDS PDP WG leadership team characteristics

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 4 14:55:02 UTC 2016

I cannot speak for James, but I will repeat that I do object to ICANN
volunteers from other SGs playing a leadership role, even wonderful
contenders such as Holly!  Given the somewhat tumultuous discussions
that have gone on at the CCWG over the past year, it seems to me prudent
that the GNSO lead its own processes. Furthermore, the WHOIS debates
over the past 15 years have amply demonstrated the different economic
and policy interests in the data, and these interests tend to be sharply
divided along stakeholder groups.  Ensuring a balance of those
stakeholder groups on the leadership team from the get-go will help
diminish perceptions of unfairness and lack of trust.

That in no way diminishes the important role and contributions of
volunteers to this committee, and I would stress that there are likely
to be be working groups established in this (doubtless multi-year
effort) where people can contribute in a leader role. However, this is
undoubtedly going to be a fractious process and I think it is reasonable
to look for previous participation at ICANN, not necessarily leadership
of a pdp per se, but demonstrated ability to remain neutral, understand
procedure, and support staff who are going to be doing a great deal of
work for us.  With great respect to all volunteers, I don't think this
is a role for those who have not recently participated in at least some
kind of working group at ICANN.  It is very important that we have a
broad range of expertise and talent represented here, but let us be
clear about the various roles we all will be playing.
My original point, which James clarified far better than I had
originally expressed it, is that volunteers who are not used to ICANN
and its processes will not understand any of the political questions
embedded in the poll, meaning no disrespect to staff who created that poll.

If I may reiterate the point that Michele made, many of the SOIs of
people who have volunteered for this work need serious editing and
clarification.  If staff could review the list and reach out to those in
question it would be appreciated.  Our membership list for NCUC is
public, non-members are welcome to apply.
And if I may respond to a point that Dr. Williams made: "I would suggest
that we leave it to the leadership group to decide who “leads” it…all of
us are capable of leading"
1.  We are discussing the process of how to select that leadership group
at the moment, once that group is determined, how they spell one another
off is of course up to them with group concensus, providing procedures
are duly followed (and I for one depend on Marika to remind us of
procedures on a regular basis)
2.  With great respect, we are not all equal in our leadership ability
and experience.  This is why several of us are insisting on demonstrated
ability to perform a neutral, balanced role in an ICANN setting.  I
think it is quite challenging.  For those who are new to ICANN,
following this group for a year or so every week will give you a rich
and varied experience which will doubtless be useful in future efforts.
I am sorry to go on at such length, but I wanted to dispel any
impression I had given that I was intending this to be an insider
process....far from it, I am very keen on recruiting (for instance) some
individuals who have knowledge of data protection and human rights law
who have rarely in the past participated at ICANN, resulting in
unfortunate policies that violate national law. However, such new
individuals/volunteers with varied expertise are, regardless of past
leadership roles, perhaps not the best choices for the leadership team.
I speak as a newbie with only 3 years of working experience at ICANN,
who has now participated in at least 6 working groups.  Doing a good job
here, in my view, requires a lot of learning and bandwidth.
Kind regards,
Stephanie Perrin