[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Starting from Scratch

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Tue Jul 5 15:15:02 UTC 2016

Rob,

At 2016-07-05 01:46:30 +0100
Rob Golding <rob.golding at astutium.com> wrote:

> Getting back to the basics ...
>
> On the question of "what data should be collected" (lets leave who by
> for a moment) can we get to some agreement about what data is actually
> needed for a domain to exist (be that collected, generated or created)
> and what additional data is needed for it to be used

Interesting thought experiment, although I'm not sure how far it will
go. Lets see. :)

> I _think_ this is just:
> Required
>   domain-name

Yes.

>   registrar

Only in TLD that have a registry/registrar model. (And we are only
concerned about gTLD in this WG, right?)

>   expiry date

Yes. Possibly.

>   auth-code

For gTLD which support transferring ownership via this code, then yes.
Definitely not true for gTLD that do not have a registry/registrar
model, and possibly not true for some other gTLD as well.

Also note that this is not baked into DNS technology or anything like
that, but is only an artifact of a current registrar transfer system.
Fundamentally this is a way to authenticate the registrant, which is
what the registry really needs.

>   status

What does this mean?

> And for it to be of some "functional" use:
> Optional
>   nameservers

And also optionally:
   DS record (or DNSKEY or other cryptographic information which can be
   used to produce a DS record for DNSSEC).

So putting together, for gTLD without registrars, the registry needs to
know:

  domain-name
  expiry date
  nameservers [optional]
  ds [optional]

For gTLD with a registry/registrar model, the registry needs to know:

  domain-name
  expiry date
  nameservers [optional]
  ds [optional]
  registrar
  registrant authentication

As a final note, if there are no registrars then everything except for
the expiry date can be obtained from the DNS itself. If there are
registrars then the registrar and the registrant authentication also
sit outside the DNS.

Cheers,

--
Shane